The Paris Catacombs contain the remains of centuries’ worth of Parisians. It is the largest visitable ossuary in the world. A descent into this haunted underworld is an unforgettable adventure for history geeks, lovers of the macabre and the just curious.
These labyrinthine tunnels were originally built as quarries to provide gypsum and limestone for the construction of the famous Parisian monuments. Over time, the hollowed galleries were abandoned and became home to a hidden world of crime. In the 18th century, they were used to rebury millions of skeletons from the overcrowded city cemeteries. Until today, the Catacombs have a clandestine life (so to say) of their own…
What stories can these bones tell about over two thousand years of Parisian extraordinary history? What kind of relationship did people build with death over centuries? Explore the daunting depths of the Catacombs in a witty and captivating way.
You will be able to skip the line and access galeries closed to regular visitors. This tour is semi-private and usually includes from 10 t0 20 guests. If you wish to privatize it for a smaller party, please contact us.
- Duration: 2 hours.
- Skip-the-line tickets included.
- No toilet or cloakroom facilities available.
- 130 steps to go down and 83 steps back up to street level.
- The temperature inside is about 57°F (14°C).
- This tour is unsuitable for people with heart or respiratory problems, those of a nervous disposition and young children. Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult. The Catacombs are not accessible for persons with reduced mobility.